Hospital Board Certification
The Iowa Hospital Association has designed the Hospital Board Certification Program to help hospitals use governance best practices, promote the coordination of care and make the best use of resources. This demonstrates to lawmakers, regulators, physicians, employees, the business community and other community stakeholders that Iowa hospitals:
- Understand and embrace the need for governance accountability.
- Govern according to a standard of excellence.
- Are willing to formally certify their adherence to governance best practices.
- Are committed to coordination of resources in their communities.
- Embrace community accountability and transparency.
- Structure their community benefit and outreach programs to meet community needs.
- Use data from the Iowa Hospital Association to identify and address areas of need, especially for the uninsured and underinsured.
- Use performance data to identify opportunities for improvement and monitor progress that improves quality and safety.
- Integrate local health efforts with state programs.
Certified trustees are recognized each year at the Iowa Hospital Association Governance Forum.
Certification program 101 video
Certified hospital or system boards
Hospitals and health systems can register their entire boards to complete the Hospital Board Certification Program. Three levels of board certification are recognized:
- One star – 40-69% of board members are certified.
- Two stars – 70-99% of board members are certified.
- Three stars – All board members are certified.
Learn more, and sign up today!
Click the links below to learn more about the Iowa Hospital Association Hospital Board Certification Program and to see previous certified trustee awards:
Congratulations to these hospitals for achieving star awards for their 2023 trustee participation in the Iowa Hospital Association's Hospital Board Certification Program:
One-star board participation
- Clarke County Hospital, Osceola
- MercyOne Newton Medical Center, Newton
- Monroe County Hospital & Clinics, Albia
- Story County Medical Center, Nevada
- Van Diest Medical Center, Webster City
Two-star board participation
- Dallas County Hospital, Perry
- Kossuth Regional Health Center, Algona
- UnityPoint Health – Allen Hospital, Waterloo
- UnityPoint Health – Grinnell Regional Medical Center, Grinnell
Three-star board participation
- Adair County Health System, Greenfield
- Clarinda Regional Health Center, Clarinda
- Greene County Medical Center, Jefferson
- Lucas County Health Center, Chariton
- Madison County Health Care System, Winterset
- Mary Greeley Medical Center, Ames
- Montgomery County Memorial Hospital, Red Oak