Hospital board assessment
Click HERE to learn more about the Iowa Hospital Association's online board assessment and view a sample assessment.
Hospital Board and Trustee Certification Program
In a rapidly changing health care environment, the Iowa Hospital Association is committed to supporting good hospital governance and quality of care. Our Hospital Board Certification Program provides trustee-centered training and resources based on best practices to demonstrate to stakeholders that Iowa hospitals.
Click HERE for more information about the Hospital Board Certification Program.
New: Critical Questions Every Hospital Board Needs to be Able to Answer
“Critical Questions Every Hospital Needs to be Able to Answer” is a comprehensive document that may be shared electronically or printed as a booklet for new trustees. Iowa Hospital Association member hospitals have used this as a primer for new board members and a refresher for existing board members by using the questions for discussion and building understanding and awareness at board meetings.
Updated in 2021, the 135-page document provides new trustees with answers to the most-important questions they must know, including:
- How can the board be visionary in an era of uncertainty and transformation?
- How does the board build lasting community partnerships?
- How does the board create a culture of safety?
- How does the board ensure a healthy, equitable community?
- How does the board ensure continuous growth in its critical leadership knowledge?
- How does the board ensure strong and effective executive leadership?
- How does the board ensure strong collaboration with the medical staff?
- How does the board ensure successful leadership?
- How does the board hold itself accountable for continuous leadership improvement?
- How does the board keep conflict out of the boardroom?
- How does the board move forward after COVID-19?
- How should the board gauge the hospitals’ financial performance?
- What are the most prominent health needs in the community?
- What does it mean to be an effective hospital advocate?
- What is are differences among the hospital’s mission, vision and values?
- What is population health, and why is it important?
- What is the board’s accountability for ensuring the right organizational structure?
- What is the board’s fiduciary responsibility?
- What is the board’s responsibility for ensuring a positive workplace culture?
- What is the board’s responsibility for planning?
- What is the board’s role in medical staff credentialing?
- What is the board’s role in quality and patient safety?
- What’s is the board’s role in disaster planning?
- Why should the hospital develop a community benefits report?
Click HERE to download a PDF of the document.