Hospital Board Education
IHA offers three events annually that have a focus on trustee and board education. These are key events to participate in to receive the hours required for the hospital and board trustee certification program.
2023 IHA Governance Forum
Friday, April 14, and Saturday the 15.
2023 Foundations of Governance Excellence Webinar 9-part series (One a month starting in January)
2023 IHA Annual Meeting
Tuesday, October 10, and Wednesday, October 11.
IHA Trustee Minutes Quarterly Newsletter
AHA Governance Resources
- Using Investment Governance to Achieve Financial Excellence | AHA Trustee Services webinar
- Health Care Trustees’ Role in Supporting the Transition to Value | AHA Trustee Services webinar
- Boardroom 101 | AHA Trustee Services (resource – free to AHA members/fee for non-members)
- What Boards Should Know About Cybersecurity, eBook Format (1-20 Users) (aha.org) (resource – free to AHA members/fee for non-members)
- AHA Member Trend Report. (resource – free to AHA members/fee for non-members)
- AHA Reports AHA Trustee Services
- Boardroom-Brief-How-Boards-Can-Support-Workforce-Behavioral-Health.pdf (aha.org)
Misc. Governance Resources
These resources can help hospital trustees in almost every aspect of governance:
- Advocacy resources.
- Board of Trustees Governance Manual Template (Microsoft Word version). From the Kansas Hospital Association and governWell.
- Common Health Care Terms and Abbreviations
- Foundations for Governing Excellence: Board Roles and Responsibilities
- IHA Hospital Board Assessment
- IHA publications.
- Nonprofit Corporation Director Duties
- Public hospital trustees FAQ.
- Recruitment Tips to Advance Rural Board Diversity
Trustee resource videos
The IHA has several trustee resource videos included in the Digital on Demand Store. Visit that section HERE.
New: Critical Questions Every Hospital Board Needs to be Able to Answer
“Critical Questions Every Hospital Needs to be Able to Answer” is a comprehensive document that may be shared electronically or printed as a booklet for new trustees. Iowa Hospital Association member hospitals have used this as a primer for new board members and a refresher for existing board members by using the questions for discussion and building understanding and awareness at board meetings.
Updated in 2021, the 135-page document provides new trustees with answers to the most-important questions they must know, including:
- How can the board be visionary in an era of uncertainty and transformation?
- How does the board build lasting community partnerships?
- How does the board create a culture of safety?
- How does the board ensure a healthy, equitable community?
- How does the board ensure continuous growth in its critical leadership knowledge?
- How does the board ensure strong and effective executive leadership?
- How does the board ensure strong collaboration with the medical staff?
- How does the board ensure successful leadership?
- How does the board hold itself accountable for continuous leadership improvement?
- How does the board keep conflict out of the boardroom?
- How does the board move forward after COVID-19?
- How should the board gauge the hospitals’ financial performance?
- What are the most prominent health needs in the community?
- What does it mean to be an effective hospital advocate?
- What is are differences among the hospital’s mission, vision and values?
- What is population health, and why is it important?
- What is the board’s accountability for ensuring the right organizational structure?
- What is the board’s fiduciary responsibility?
- What is the board’s responsibility for ensuring a positive workplace culture?
- What is the board’s responsibility for planning?
- What is the board’s role in medical staff credentialing?
- What is the board’s role in quality and patient safety?
- What’s is the board’s role in disaster planning?
- Why should the hospital develop a community benefits report?
Click HERE to download a PDF of the document.