As the population in Iowa becomes more diverse, health care must change to with it. The IHA Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee formed to advise and recommend strategies, initiatives, data and partnerships to advance diversity, cultural competency, health equity and inclusion in Iowa’s hospital workforce and institutions. The committee worked with the Organization of Nurse Leaders and the New England Regional Black Nurses Association to develop the following Pledge to Champion Diversity, Equity and Inclusivity. IHA has asked all Iowa hospitals to review and sign the pledge. In 2022, IHA will follow up with targeted steps, action items and resources for Iowa’s hospitals to continue their equity journeys.
Pledge to Champion Diversity, Equity and Inclusivity
- Advance diversity in leadership and governance to reflect the communities we serve.
- Be anti-racist and stand with and stand up for those with diverse backgrounds.
- Champion strategies that advance equity.
- Examine practices and consider methods to stop contributing to systemic discrimination.
- Foster a culture of diversity, equity and inclusivity.
- Hold ourselves and others accountable to committing to reforms and action.
- Improve and strengthen community partners.
- Increase diversity in our sphere of influence.
- Increase the collection, stratification and use of race, ethnicity, language preference and other sociodemographic data to improve quality and safety.
- Learn about systemic injustice and use our trusted voice to influence and educate others.
- Listen to learn.
- Promote the practice of self-assessment for unconscious biases and increase cultural competency training to ensure culturally responsive care.
- Pursue social justice by listening and engaging in dialogue with others, even when it is uncomfortable.
- See, hear and accept people from every race, culture, gender, sexual identity and religion.
- Support legislative efforts to eliminate racism and discrimination and support basic human rights.
- Audubon County Memorial Hospital and Clinics.
- Broadlawns Medical Center.
- Buchanan County Health Center.
- Buena Vista Regional Medical Center.
- Burgess Health Center.
- Cass Health.
- CHI Health Mercy Corning.
- CHI Mercy Hospital-Council Bluffs.
- Dallas County Hospital and Family Medicine Clinics.
- Floyd Valley Healthcare.
- Henry County Health Center.
- Iowa Specialty Hospitals and Clinics.
- Keokuk Blessing Health.
- Kossuth Regional Health Center.
- Lakes Regional Healthcare.
- Manning Regional Healthcare Center.
- Mary Greeley Medical Center.
- Mercy Medical Center – Cedar Rapids.
- Methodist Jennie Edmundson.
- Montgomery County
- Myrtue Medical Center
- Shenandoah Medical Center
- Southeast Iowa Regional Medical Center.
- Spencer Hospital.
- St. Anthony Regional Hospital.
- Van Diest Medical Center
- Virginia Gay Hospital
- Washington County Hospital and Clinics.
- Winneshiek Medical Center.
MercyOne Cedar Falls Medical Center.
MercyOne Centerville Medical Center.
MercyOne Clinton Medical Center.
MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center.
MercyOne Dubuque Medical Center.
MercyOne Dyersville Medical Center.
MercyOne Elkader Medical Center.
MercyOne New Hampton Medical Center.
MercyOne Newton Medical Center.
MercyOne North Iowa Medical Center.
MercyOne Oelwein Medical Center.
MercyOne Primghar Medical Center.
MercyOne Rehabilitation Hospital.
MercyOne Siouxland Medical Center.
MercyOne Waterloo Medical Center.
MercyOne West Des Moines Medical Center.
- UnityPoint Health System and Affiliates.
- UnityPoint Health-Allen Hospital.
- UnityPoint Health-Blank Children's Hospital.
- UnityPoint Health-Finley Hospital.
- UnityPoint Health-Grinnell Regional Medical Center.
- UnityPoint Health-Iowa Lutheran Hospital.
- UnityPoint Health-Iowa Methodist Medical Center.
- UnityPoint Health-Jones Regional Medical Center.
- UnityPoint Health-Marshalltown.
- UnityPoint Health-St. Luke’s Hospital.
- UnityPoint Health-St. Luke’s Sioux City.
- UnityPoint Health-Trinity Bettendorf.
- UnityPoint Health-Trinity Muscatine.
- UnityPoint Health-Methodist West Hospital.