Iowa Hospital Auxilians and Volunteers
There is no charge to join the Iowa Hospital Auxilians and Volunteers personal membership group. Click here to join.
The Iowa Hospital Association appreciates everything auxilians and volunteers do to help Iowa hospitals. Contact Pam Gridley, 515-288-1955, or the Iowa Hospital Auxilians and Volunteers board of directors for help with auxilian and volunteer issues.
Iowa Hospital Auxilians and Volunteers board of directors
- President– Connie Manny, Executive Assistant/Vol and Gift Shop Manager, Madison County Health Care System, Winterset
- President-elect – Kirsten Heerdt, Volunteer Services Coordinator, Henry County Health Center, Mt. Pleasant
- Secretary– Lisa Gronstal, Volunteer Services Manager, CHI Health Mercy Council Bluffs, Council Bluffs
- Past President – Angela Berns, Program Manager, Volunteer Services, UnityPoint Health-St. Luke’s Hospital, Cedar Rapids
- Director - Lisa Alesch, Volunteer Coordinator, Buena Vista Regional Medical Center, Storm Lake
- Director - Bailey Clubb, Manager of Volunteer Services and Committees, Clarinda Regional Health Center, Clarinda
- Director – Stephanie Duckert, Volunteer Services Manager, MercyOne North Iowa Medical Center, Mason City
- Director – Thresa Fix, Executive Assistant and Auxiliary Liaison, UnityPoint Health-Trinity, Muscatine
- Director – Brittany Janssen, Volunteer Services Manager, Orange City Area Health System, Orange City
- Staff liaison – Pam Gridley, Vice President, Corporate Relations, Iowa Hospital Association, Des Moines
Friends of HCHC Gift Shop
Nestled into the lobby of southeast Iowa’s Henry County Health Center is the Friends of HCHC Gift Shop. The auxiliary-ran store opened in 1990 and is the go-to place to shop affordable greeting cards, USA-made products and one-of-a-kind gift items.
Volunteer and Friends of HCHC member Sandy Eiffert manages the shop as well as coordinates the buying. Scheduling is done by volunteer and Friends Vice-President Judy Davison. HCHC Volunteer Services Coordinator Kirsten Heerdt assists in the training of new volunteers as well as the buying and offers support during the lunch hour.
The Friends of HCHC are celebrating 60 years of service in 2022. Though the gift shop has not been around for quite as long, its purpose is to help Friends raise funds to meet its mission of supporting the health center with projects that may not be in the capital budget. Friends also helps with the cost and support of associate programming and enrichment.
The holidays are a busy time for the shop. As we enter into the month of November, many seasonal items have already sold out. One piece of advice customers are given year-round is that if they see something they like, they had better buy it, as it probably won’t be there the next time they visit.
The first Thursday of every month features 25% off one item in the store. This is a very popular promotion not only for associates, but also for people in the community as well. Smart shoppers tend to visit ahead of the sale and put an item back in anticipation of the sale.
December offers the Colors of Christmas Sale where each day leading up to Christmas, a certain color is on sale for a certain percentage off. As an example, one day the color may be red at 20% off, meaning any item that has red on it qualifies for the sale price. The sale runs for 12 days.
We have really made an effort to offer products made in the USA as well as Iowa. We discovered a fantastic sign company in Edgewater, Iowa. Not only have they helped us with our goal of locally made items, we have also been able to increase our offering of Iowa State and Iowa décor. The Friends of HCHC Gift Shop is the only place to find Iowa State products in Henry County.
The gift shop is open Monday-Friday from 10am-2pm and Thursdays from 9am-3pm. The shop will be open until 7pm on December 1st for December’s First Thursday Sale. We offer private shopping experiences for those who cannot shop the regular hours as well as shopping through our website www.hchcgiftshop.com.
2023 and 2022 Educational Opportunities and Recognition Dates
- 2023 IHA Annual Meeting, Oct. 10-11
- Volunteer Manager's Day, Nov. 5
Power of Connection " Volunteer Concierge Admissions Program" webinar - Sept. 12, 2023
Power of Connection, Leadership webinar – Feb. 2, 2023
Power of Connection - "Rethinking Volunteer Recruitment" Webinar - Aug. 17, 2022
Volunteer Application to Assignment Placement and Everything in Between! webinar - July 26, 2022
- Chat responses
- Application, UnityPoint Health-St. Luke's Hospital
- Certificate of completion, CHI Health
- Emergency department assignment description, UnityPoint Health-St. Luke's Hospital
- Emergency department emergency situations, UnityPoint Health-St. Luke's Hospital
- Emergency department log, UnityPoint Health-St. Luke's Hospital
- Microsoft Bookings tip sheet
- Patient Family Ambassador, Rehabilitation Services, Henry County Health Center
- Preemployment health screening form, Madison County Health System
- Use of Fitness Center benefit, Madison County Health System
- Volunteer orientation, Madison County Health System
- Volunteer clearance, UnityPoint Health-St. Luke's Hospital
- Volunteer contract, Mary Greeley Medical Center
- Volunteer interview questions, UnityPoint Health-St. Luke's Hospital
- Volunteer orientation, Henry County Health Center
- Volunteer orientation checklist, Henry County Health Center
- Volunteer Health Assessment, UnityPoint Health-St. Luke's Hospital
Power of Connection Fundraising Recording – Feb. 15, 2022
- Online fundraisers breakout session
- Spring/Summer fundraiser breakout session
- Fall/Winter fundraisers breakout session
- Vendor fundraiser breakout session
- Community partnership fundraiser breakout session
To make positive changes to health care policies in Iowa, the Iowa Hospital Association relies on the support of hospital advocates to be the voices of Iowa hospitals at the Statehouse. With the ever-evolving issues and challenges that hospitals face, communicating a shared vision of health care in Iowa is crucial. Together our voices can be heard.
Advocates can be the voice of Iowa hospitals at the Statehouse during Hospital Day on the Hill. Typically occurring in February, Hospital Day on the Hill has a significant impact on Iowa hospitals and the communities and patients they serve.
2021 Educational Opportunities
Iowa Hospital Auxilians and Volunteers SWIPE Series (Steal With Integrity and Pride from Everywhere
- Dec 2, 2021, Recruitment. In-meeting poll results, click here.
- Sept 15, 2021, Resiliency and Business Meeting.
- July 8, 2021, Gift Shops and Fundraising.
- May 18, 2021, Recognition and Appreciation.
- Gift Shops and Fundraising Webinar.
- Recruitment and Retention Webinar.
- Volunteer and Auxiliary Recognition.
- IHA education calendar.
2020 Educational Opportunities
- Risk Management and Returning Volunteers Webinar
- Iowa Hospital Auxilians and Volunteers business meeting recording, Wednesday Oct. 7, 2020
2019 Iowa Hospital Auxilians/Volunteers Annual Survey
The 2019 annual survey is combined with the American Hospital Association's annual survey. The auxiliary/volunteer portion include three questions:
- How many auxiliary members and volunteers (adults and teens) were there in 2019?
- How many hours of service did the auxilians and volunteers give to the hospital in 2019?
- What were the total funds contributed to the hospital by the auxiliary and volunteer department in 2019?