Tuesday, Feb. 7, 2023
CMS provides updates about COVID-19 flexibilities
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services released updated fact sheets for hospitals and other types of Medicare and Medicaid providers. The documents provide updates about:
- Payment for providing COVID-19 vaccines.
- The status of COVID-19 blanket waivers and flexibilities and whether they will continue after the COVID-19 public health emergency ends.
- The use of COVID-19 monoclonal antibodies for Medicare beneficiaries after the COVID-19 public health emergency ends.
CMS released additional resources to prepare for the public health emergency wind down including:
CMS 1135 waiver and flexibility request and inquiry form.
Spring conference prepares hospitals for different emergencies
Hospital emergencies can vary from natural disasters to cyberattacks. The 2023 Iowa Society for Hospital Preparedness and Emergency Managers Spring Conference will prepared emergency and preparedness managers to prepare for a variety of scenarios.
Participants will hear from their colleagues at UnityPoint Health-St. Luke’s Hospital about preparing for a trauma surge. Brandy Hennessey, an emergency department registered nurse, and Ryan Sundermann, M.D., emergency department medical director, will discuss the hospital’s “15 ‘til 50” model that prepares staff for 50 patients to walk through the emergency rooms doors in 15 minutes.
Kurt Kramer, information technology manager, and Heidi Solheim, MBA, chief operating officer, Waverley Health Center, will share their experiences responding to a cyberattack in 2020.
Participants also will discuss:
- Recurring Occupational Safety and Health Administration violations and ways to prevent making them.
- Running effective meetings when time is limited.
The conference is scheduled from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Tuesday, March 21. Email Autumn McGill at IHA with questions.
Learn more about health careers apprenticeship program
The Iowa Workforce Development recently held a webinar providing information about the Health Careers Registered Apprenticeship Grant Program. A recording of the webinar and presentation slides are available.
The program, supported by IHA, strengthens Iowa’s health care workforce by providing funds to develop registered apprenticeship health care pathways for Iowans. Funding is available to:
- Assisted living facilities.
- Home health agencies.
- Public or private accredited high schools, community colleges and universities.
- Residential care facilities.
Skilled nursing facilities.
Register for No Surprises Act webinar
ServiShare partner ParaRev is providing a regulatory update about the No Surprises Act. Barbara Johnson with ParaRev will review the regulation and discuss:
- Key updates to the act.
- Price transparency.
- Solutions available for networking and convening with co-providers.
The webinar is scheduled from 1-2 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 9. Email Reagon Worthington at ServiShare with questions.