IHA Annual Meeting rated major success by attendees, exhibitors
More than 1,000 Iowa health care professionals and volunteers attended the Iowa Hospital Association (IHA) Annual Meeting, Oct. 4-5, at Community Choice Credit Union Convention Center in Des Moines. Annual meeting attendees explored innovative approaches and perspectives through 23 breakout sessions and engaged with 80 exhibitors.
Other highlights included:
Hayley Arceneaux shares her experiences as a cancer survivor,
physician assistant and SpaceX crew member during her keynote chat
with MercyOne CEO Bob Ritz.
Keynote speakers deliver purpose and inspiration
The annual meeting featured an engaging lineup of four recognized keynote speakers. They were:
- Steve Cadigan, LinkedIn’s former chief human resources officer.
- Hayley Arceneaux, physician assistant, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and SpaceX astronaut.
- Michael O’Neil, founder and CEO, GetWellNetwork, and Katherine Virkstis, vice president of Clinical Advisory Services, GetWellNetwork.
IHA Political Action Committee hears from election analyst, recognizes members
David Wasserman, senior editor, U.S. House and Redistricting, The Cook Political Report With Amy Walter, and one of the nation’s top election forecasters, shared his analysis of the 2022 Iowa and national midterm races at the IHA PAC luncheon. The American Hospital Association also honored three Iowa hospital CEOs with PAC awards during the annual meeting. The awards and recipients were:
- Grassroots Champion Award – James Roetman, CEO of Pocahontas Community Hospital.
- Most Valuable PAC Player – Rob Colerick, CEO of Buena Vista Regional Medical Center in Storm Lake.
- Most Valuable PAC Player – Ron Kloewer, CEO of Montgomery Memorial Hospital in Red Oak.
Hospital staff honored for their time, talent and leadership
IHA recognized several hospital employees and volunteers for their service:
- Excellence in Governance Award – Ken McCuskey from Mary Greeley Medical Center in Ames.
- Excellence in Leadership awards – Tim Charles, president and CEO of Mercy Medical Center in Cedar Rapids, and Bob Ritz, CEO of MercyOne in Clive.
- Iowa Hospital Heroes – IHA honored 12 Iowa hospital employees for performing heroic acts or tirelessly working to better their hospitals, patients or communities.
- Young Executive Achievement Award – Ben Davis, CEO with Osceola Regional Health Center in Sibley.
Storytellers reflect on experiences, share lessons
A storytelling event featured four hospital CEOs sharing specific events in their careers that helped them decide or reinforced their decisions to dedicate themselves to the communities they serve. Storytellers were:
- Brian Dieter, President and CEO, Mary Greeley Medical Center in Ames.
- Brooke Kensinger, CEO, MercyOne Elkader Medical Center.
- James Roetman, CEO, Pocahontas Community Hospital.
- Jason Harrington, President and CEO, Lakes Regional Healthcare in Spirit Lake.
Iowa Organization of Nursing Leadership (IONL) presents leadership awards
The IONL recognized a nurse executive and a nurse leader for their achievements:
- Outstanding Nurse Executive – Carmen Kleinsmith, senior vice president and chief nurse executive for UnityPoint Health-St. Luke’s Hospital in Cedar Rapids.
- Outstanding Nurse Leader – Jessica Kendrick, director of quality, safety and regulatory at Ottumwa Regional Health Center.
Leadership Develop Program salutes 2022 graduates
IHA recognized their 2022 Leadership Development Program’s 80-member graduating class. The yearlong program develops skills and competencies to support leaders in navigating their roles and maximizing success in an ever-changing health care landscape.
IHA House of Delegates elects 2023 officers
IHA’s House of Delegates met during the annual meeting and elected officers for 2023. They are:
- Chair – Brian Dieter, President and CEO, Mary Greeley Medical Center, Ames.
- Chair-Elect – Kevin Kincaid, CEO of Knoxville Hospital and Clinics.
- Treasurer – David Stark, CEO of UnityPoint Health-Des Moines.
- Past-Chair – Bob Kroese, CEO, Pella Regional Health Center.
IHA is a voluntary membership organization representing hospital and health system interests to business, government and consumer audiences; 117 community hospitals in Iowa are IHA members.
Next year’s IHA Annual Meeting is scheduled Oct. 10-11, 2023, at Community Choice Credit Union Convention Center. For more information, call IHA at 515-288-1955.