Tuesday, March 14, 2023
IHA applauds CMS proposal to standardize prior authorization
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services proposed regulations streamlining and reducing the burden associated with prior authorizations. In comments submitted to CMS Administrator Chiquita Brooks-LaSure, IHA commended CMS' plans to:
- Require health plans to implement and maintain an electronic exchange-of-information program to complete prior-authorization requests and responses.
- Define new timelines for standard and expedited prior-authorization requests.
- Require plans to report specific reasons for denying a prior authorization.
- Require plans to make available to patients and providers information about prior-authorization requests and decisions through the Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resouces-based application.
- Establish public reporting for several prior-authorization metrics.
IHA also supports the inclusion of Medicare Advantage plans in the proposal. With the growing presence of Medicare Advantage plans in Iowa, IHA believes these steps are important to removing unnecessary barriers and making prior-authorization processes more efficient and effective.
Spots still available for AHA annual meeting
It’s not too late to register for the 2023 American Hospital Association Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C. IHA President and CEO Chris Mitchell invites IHA members to join him and IHA Senior Director of Advocacy Erin Cubit for the annual gathering where they will visit with Senate and congressional staff, participate in educational opportunities and meeting with other hospital advocates from across the country. IHA also will sponsor a luncheon, dinner and Capitol Hill visits during the conference.
The AHA Annual Meeting is scheduled from Sunday, April 23 through Tuesday, April 25, at the Marriott Marquis in Washington, D.C. AHA has a hotel block reserved for conference participants. The hotel block will expire March 23.
IHA has released an agenda of IHA events during the AHA annual meeting:
Sunday, April 23
- ACHE educational sessions.
- Trustee educational sessions.
- AHAPAC luncheon (by invitation only).
- Rural Washington update.
- Post-acute care update.
- Crisis of Care: Behavioral Health in Our Communities.
- The Politics of Policy: Health Care's Next Move.
- AHA Leadership Celebration.
Monday, April 24
- Registration and attend AHA Annual Meeting.
- Federal forum plenary session.
- Pressure Points: The Financial Future of the Field and Impact on Patients.
- AHA recognition luncheon.
- Federal forum afternoon plenary session.
- Complimentary dinner with IHA staff at Tortino Restaurant from 6-8 p.m.
Tuesday, April 25, 2023
- Attend AHA Annual Meeting.
- Federal forum closing plenary.
- Luncheon and briefing (IHA-sponsored) at 11 a.m. in the Silver Linden Room in the Marriott Marquis.
- Capitol Hill visits: Meetings with senators and representatives in the early afternoon to allow time for attendees to travel to the airport.
Register for May organizational leadership webinar
A tenant of healthy leadership involves creating a positive work culture and psychological safety for employees. In the May Lessons in Leadership webinar, Ryan Gallik, co-founder of the Mental Hygiene Project, and Michael Stahl, founder of Motivational Concepts, will provide the tools health care leaders need to create a sustainable future for their organizations.
Gallik and Stahl will discuss:
- Achieving resiliency.
- Creating an inclusive workplace.
- Engaging employee strengths to create a positive work culture.
CMS releases updated QAPI guidance
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services has developed updated interpretive guidance to provide surveyors with a consistent approach for assessing whether a hospital’s quality assessment and performance improvement program fully complies with the Medicare conditions of participation requirements. The updated guidance is part of CMS’ efforts to promote and advance a culture of safety in hospitals and to improve performance, patient safety and quality of care.
The updated guidance focuses on determining whether a hospital has an effective system for identifying problematic events, policies or practices, and is taking action to remedy identified problem areas. The guidance also reinforces the critical role hospital governing bodies play in the sustained delivery of safe, high-quality patient care.
ServiShare endorses partnership with ProCircular
A strong bond among hospitals, health care leaders and Iowa’s authority on cybersecurity means better-protected patients and more efficient, safer ways to deliver health care. ProCircular was selected as a ServiShare partner for its deep health care cybersecurity expertise and connection to the state the largest Iowa-based cybersecurity and compliance firm.
With this partnership, ProCircular will work with members to assess cybersecurity readiness, navigate the changing landscape of cyberthreats and address regulatory commitments.
ProCircular’s services include:
- Cyber escape-room training.
- Governance, risk management and compliance consulting.
- Incidence response and forensics.
- Incidence response planning and tabletop exercises.
- Managed extended detection and response.
- Penetration testing.
- Risk assessment.
- Security awareness training.
- Vulnerability assessment.
Learn more about partnering with ProCircular and register to receive exclusive event invites, critical flash briefings about the latest threats and cybersecurity tips. To start your cybersecurity journey and assess your risk and compliance needs, email email@example.com