Thursday, Feb. 16, 2023
Submit nominees for IHA’s 2023 leadership awards
IHA presents three major leadership awards at its annual meeting to recognize significant achievement in hospital or health system administration and governance. The three awards are:
- Excellence in Leadership Award – Presented to an Iowa hospital or health system CEO demonstrating notable achievement in administration of the organization and contributions in the broader areas of health care or health policy.
- Excellence in Governance Award – Recognizes an outstanding trustee or board member making a significant contribution to the hospital or health system through their leadership and commitment to excellence.
- Young Executive Award – Presented to a hospital CEO under 40 showing significant positive influence in the hospital or health system.
Nominations are due by Friday, June 16, and must be submitted online.
MercyOne names Central Iowa regional chief operating officer
Mike Wegner, regional chief operating officer, is now serving in a dual role as the president for MercyOne Central Iowa. He was the MercyOne Central Iowa president in an interim capacity last year.
The organization also announced Hijinio Carreon, D.O., as chief operating officer for MercyOne Central Iowa after serving in an interim capacity since February 2022. Dr. Carreon is also the MercyOne regional chief medical executive.
Moderna updates shelf life for pediatric vaccines
Moderna extended the shelf life for several lots of monovalent pediatric COVID-19 vaccines for children 6 months to 5 years old. The lots are for primary use only. Providers can check new expiration dates in Moderna’s vial expiration checker.
Register for AHA rural emergency hospital webinar
The American Hospital Association is hosting a webinar with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and the Health Resources and Services Administration to discuss the rural emergency hospital model. Officials from CMS and HRSA also will discuss recent guidance and the rural emergency hospital technical assistance center. Officials also are looking for feedback about the new licensure from rural hospitals and their communities.
The CMS Guidance for Rural Emergency Hospital Model webinar is scheduled for 11 a.m. Wednesday, March 1.
IHA also is offering a rural emergency hospital overview webinar. Attorneys Seamus Taylor and Willard Boyd III with Nyemaster Goode will discuss the requirements and regulations for conversion to a rural emergency hospital and compare the new licensure to other rural hospital programs.
IHA’s Rural Emergency Hospital Designation webinar is scheduled from 2-3 p.m. Thursday, May 4.
Correction: IHA member CEOs recognized for successes
The “Nine IHA member CEOs recognized for successes” story that ran in the Tuesday, Feb. 14, IHA Today included outdated information. These Iowa CEOs were recognized by Becker's among the 80 CEOs:
- Bob Kroese, CEO, Pella Regional Health Center, Pella.
- Brett Altman, CEO, Cass Health, Atlantic.
- Brooke Kensinger, CEO, MercyOne Elkader Medical Center, Elkader.
- Dar Elbert, CEO and chief nursing officer, Kossuth Regional Health Center, Algona.
- Jason Harrington, president and CEO, Lakes Regional Healthcare, Spirit Lake.
- Linn Block, CEO, Manning Regional Healthcare Center, Manning.
Veronica Fuhs, CEO, Monroe County Hospital and Clinics, Albia, and Davis County Hospital and Clinics, Bloomfield.