Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2023
Tort reform introduced in legislature
The Iowa Senate committee on judiciary, led by Sen. Brad Zaun (R-Urbandale), introduced a bill placing hard caps on noneconomic damages in medical malpractice cases Monday evening. IHA has advocated for a tort reform bill. IHA thanks Gov. Kim Reynolds for expressing her support for tort reform in her Condition of the State Address and the committee for introducing the bill.
Senate study bill 1063 defines "noneconomic damages" and outlines monetary caps. Specifically, the bill:
- Places a hard cap of $250,000 on noneconomic damages for personal injury or death.
- Places a hard cap of $1 million on substantial disfigurement or death that deprives someone of just compensation.
The bill does not place a monetary cap for cases in which a medical provider acted with malice. IHA looks forward to working with the legislature on this bill. Look to Friday's Legislative Bulletin for updates.
An action alert about tort reform was sent when session started, and IHA members are still encouraged to email lawmakers about the importance of this issue.
IHA releases latest hospital data trends
IHA has collected data trends from 98 hospitals for January-November 2022 as compared with the same time frame in 2021:
- Acute discharges decreased 1.8% as acute patient days increased 0.3%.
- Average facility paid hours increased 6.9%.
- Average length of stay increased 2%.
- Average physician paid hours increased 17.1%.
- Births increased 3.9%.
- Charity care decreased 5.8%.
- Emergency department visits increased 4.4%.
- Facility employment (excluding physicians) increased 6.9%.
- Hospital-based ambulatory surgery visits increased 3.8%.
- Inpatient admissions from the emergency department decreased 1.9%.
- Inpatient surgeries decreased 13.6%.
- Medicaid acute discharges decreased 5.1% and Medicaid acute patient days decreased 1.5%.
- Net patient revenue (collected charges) increased 6.1%.
- Outpatient utilization increased 5.2%.
- Payroll and benefits expense increased 10.8%.
- Total average paid hours increased 10.6%.
- Total expenses increased 7.5%.
- Uncompensated care (bad debts) increased 10.6%.
Registration open for Iowa rehabilitation managers spring conference
Registrants for the 2023 Iowa Rehabilitation Managers Spring Conference will learn to foster welcoming environments for diverse employees through interpersonal communication and motivational skills. Chiquita Loveless, MBA, director of diversity, inclusion and social justice with the University of Northern Iowa, will discuss working with diverse employees and employees from marginalized groups. She will provide tips to make all employees feel included.
Participants also will discuss:
- Concussion symptoms and treatment.
- Leading with empathy.
- Recruiting tactics.
The hybrid conference is scheduled from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Thursday, March 2.
Submit nominees for IHA’s 2023 leadership awards
IHA presents three major leadership awards at its annual meeting to recognize significant achievement in hospital or health system administration and governance. The three awards are:
- Excellence in Leadership Award – Presented to an Iowa hospital or health system CEO demonstrating notable achievement in administration of the organization and contributions in the broader areas of health care or health policy.
- Excellence in Governance Awards – Recognizes an outstanding trustee or board member making a significant contribution to the hospital or health system through their leadership and commitment to excellence.
- Young Executive Award – Presented to a hospital CEO under 40 showing significant positive influence in the hospital or health system.
Nominations are due by Friday, June 16, and must be submitted online. Email Craig Borchard at IHA with questions.
Quad City hospital moving to new location
Select Specialty Hospital-Quad Cities is moving from its location on Kimberly Road in Davenport to a new location on Tuesday, Jan. 31. The hospital is leasing the new space from Genesis Health System. The hospital’s new address is 1227 East Rusholme Street, Third Floor, Davenport, Iowa 52803.